Updating of the pan-European set of Indicators for SFM
In order to fulfil the action related to the ÔÇťFurther development of sustainable forest management and its toolsÔÇŁ, the following activities were considered in the FOREST EUROPE work programme:
- An analysis of the state of the art, which was included in the EFI project ÔÇťImplementing criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management in Europe" (2013).
- An Expert Group to explore improvements in Sustainable Forest Management guidelines and other existing tools, to identify and incorporate new knowledge and emerging issues.
- A Round Table Meeting in order to explore proposals for improvements in Sustainable Forest Management tools.
Presented by the Expert Group and back-up by the Round Table Meeting, the updating of the pan-European set of indicators for Sustainable Forest Management was seen as an urgent need and a process to be immediately launched.
As a consequence of it, a proposal to update the pan-European indicators for SFM was presented at and approved by the Expert Level Meeting (ELM) in January 2015.
This updating process included a participatory process (with two online consultations and a Workshop) and the establishing an Advisory Group composed of representatives from countries, stakeholders and experts to facilitate the updating process.
More information about the updating process is available at the following links:
- Advisory Group Meetings:
- Advisory Group Reports:
Final report of the Advisory Group on he updating of the pan-European Indicators for SFM
- Final report of the Advisory Group
- Updated Background Information for the updated pan-European Indicators for SFM
- Terms and Definitions used for the updated pan-European Indicators for SFM
- Information paper: Summary of the discussions and other reflections
FINAL UPDATED PAN-EUROPEAN SET OF INDICATORS FOR SFM
The final updated pan-European set of Indicators for SFM, result of the above mentioned participatory process, was adopted by the ELM held in Madrid on 30 June - 02 July 2015, and was formally presented at the 7th FOREST EUROPE Ministerial Conference, where ministers responsible for forests in Europe endorsed the set.